Saturday, August 27, 2011

Contain. Contain. Contain.

This is the secret to organization of any kind.  I've been learning tips over the last year and trying to get my home in an order that can stay in order.  I've found containers to be key in the process. If it is contained, it's more likely to stay that way.

A place for Everything and Everything in it's place. 

I'm starting small, because I don't know exactly what size I need, what will work, so before I go buy containers (also an extra expense), I'm using cut down cardboard boxes.  If you shop at a warehouse store, you have plenty of these in a variety of shapes and sizes.  Just cut down the height to make them fit in the space you need.  If you'd like, wrap them in paper for decor, or use pictures or words on the paper to identify what's in there so you don't think you have an extra box of fruit snacks in the pantry, when in reality it's light bulb storage.

Another easy idea is to make a grid out of cardboard. A good fit is crucial.  They tend to move around a bit if not exactly cut to fit. They are very good for sock drawers.  I have used the idea for my battery drawer but that was less successful.  Those need containers, they are heavy.  Here is a good website for how to do that if you're unsure:  http://www.arealhousewifeofnyc.com/upcycled-cardboard-drawer-dividers/

Before you throw away any clear plastic container with a good wide mouth, think about it's use.  Could this be a jar for extra floss? Keep curlers in it? Spare buttons? Crayons? Toddler proof the markers?  Just wash them really well.  Be careful washing them in your dishwasher, sometimes they become misshapen with the high heat, but generally I've had success.  Mayonnaise and peanut butter jars are my personal favorite. :)
Here are some of the organization ideas I've used recently that have proved functional for months now. The best part was I didn't spend a dime to do any of them.  Just used things I had around the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment